Registered Student Organizations
Get Involved with an RSO
Registered student organizations (RSOs) provide students the opportunity to form and develop organizations based on a common interest. Students are able to create, govern, budget and plan their own organization and events. Through your involvement with an RSO you will meet new people, develop your interest and have fun.
Currently there are over 380 organizations, click on the links below to access each category *You may use Ctrl+F within the PDF file if you are looking for an specific organization.
- Special Interest
Through your involvement with an RSO you are able to take advantage of our RSO education classes (budgeting, event planning, etc.), RSO resources (office space, lockers, etc.) and apply for funds for your events from the Associated Student Government. If you don't see one that suits your interest, learn how to start your own RSO.
RSO Registration Information
2015-2016 RSO Re-registration and New RSO Registration is now open. RSO privileges for the 2014-2015 academic year expire June 30, 2015, so the Office of Student Activities recommends re-registration prior to leaving for summer.
Instructions/Checklist for Returning RSO's
- Go to http://rsodatabase.uark.edu/Manage.
- Update officer/member information in the RSO online database
- Any officer currently listed in the database can initiate the renewal process by logging on to the RSO Online Database with your personal email and password. If you are a new officer, a previous officer must grant you access. If no officer listed in the database is still involved with the group, please note that on your RSO paperwork.
- Add or edit members and officers to reflect the current officer slate. You add the new officers to the database using their uark email ID (the part before the @uark.edu) using the “add member” button. If an officer/member is changing roles, select the name and click “edit member”. If the person updating the database is an outgoing or former officer, do not delete them before adding new officers! Otherwise no one will have database access!
- Your officers must be registered full-time for classes before you can update them
in the system. In addition they must meet the other co-curricular requirements (2.25
cumulative GPA and no conduct probation). If you attempt to add an officer and receive
a message that the person is not eligible, make a note on your paperwork. We will
check the person’s status and notify him or her if there is anything further we need.
- Fill out this registration packet and return it to the Office of Student Activities (ARKU A665).
- RSO Information page – must have minimum of six total signatures (including officers + members). ALL officers must sign (even if there are more than six officers). Please use an additional page if needed.
- Non-discrimination statement (president must sign)
- End-of-year report (may also email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Your advisor should complete the Advisor Information Sheet (may also email to email@example.com)
- If your RSO constitution has changed in the past year or if it has been over three years since you have submitted a copy, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Guidelines for constitutions can be found at http://osa.uark.edu/Sample_Constitution.pdf
- Two officers must complete the Online Officer Orientation
- Review the materials located on the Office of Student Activities RSO website (http://osa.uark.edu/rso).
- Go to the Officer Orientation quiz link. TWO officers must complete the mandatory Online Officer Orientation quiz and pass with a score of at least 80% each before your RSO can be activated.
Instructions/Checklist for New RSO's
- Create an entry for your organization in the RSO online database at https://rsodatabase.uark.edu/Create. Your officers must be registered full-time for classes before you can update them in the system. In addition they must meet the other co-curricular requirements (2.25 cumulative GPA and no conduct record). If you attempt to add an officer and receive a message that the person is not eligible, make a note on your paperwork. We will check the person’s status and notify him or her if there is anything further we need.
- Email your RSO’s constitution to email@example.com. Guidelines and a sample constitution can be found at http://osa.uark.edu/rso.
- Fill out this registration packet and return it to the Office of Student Activities (ARKU A665). Packet may be submitted at any time in the year for new RSOs.
- Complete Officer Orientation within four weeks of submitting your RSO paperwork.
- Contact the Office of Student Activities to schedule an Officer Orientation with one of our RSO staff. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org, visit the OSA Office, Union A-665 or call (479)575-5255 to schedule this meeting.
- Two officers must attend the Officer Orientation.
- Officer Orientation is a mandatory component of your registration
- Remember to re-register your organization during the April 15-September 15, 2016 window to be active for the 2016-2017 academic year
Benefits of becoming a Registered Student Organization
According to University policy, student groups must be registered in order to:
- Use University facilities
- Be listed in University publications, websites and newsletters
- Use the University name in publicity and press releases
- Use University logos and trademarks (limited, with prior approval)
- Apply for and expend University funds as distributed through the Associated Student Government
- Apply for and occupy office space in a University building
- Participate in university programs as an organization
- Participate in any information fairs
- Apply for University recognition for organizational achievement
- Conduct fundraisers on campus (with prior approval)
- Reserve meeting space on campus
- Utilize organizational emails, websites and listservs
- Obtain locker or mailbox space through the Office of Student Activities
- Additionally, the Office of Student Activities works closely with our Registered Student Organizations, offering trainings, workshops, event consultations, a resource room, an RSO meeting space, informational listservs, and other helpful tools.
RSO or Departmental Organization?
The University’s relationship differs with RSO’s and departmental organizations. Your organization will be categorized based on the following attributes:
- Departmental organizations are considered extensions of the department and as such, are under the direction and oversight of the department. The department controls the finances and maintains ultimate responsibility for the organization’s events. Departmental organizations officially represent the University of Arkansas.
- Registered Student Organizations are not an extension of University departments (even if they are professional or field-based) and are distinct from the University of Arkansas. RSOs receive University recognition and may receive University resources, and as such are subject to University policies, but actions of the RSO are not actions of the institution. RSO’s maintain separate finances, although in accounts held by the University, and make their own decisions about events, within University policy.
Please contact the Office of Student Activities if you have questions.
Need Funding for your RSO? Access information and required documents for ASG Funding!
Meet your RSO Support Team!
- Trisha Blau, Assistant Director for Programming, email@example.com (RSO Officer Appeals, Legal Questions Related to RSO's, SOOIE)
- Rainer Gall, RSO Program Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org (Advisor Development, Fundraising, Trademark, RSO Financial Affairs Advisor, oversees RSO functional area, New RSO Registration, Officer Development, Event Planning, SOOIE)
- Rosa Edwards, Administrative Support Supervisor, email@example.com (RSO Re-Registration General RSO questions, Email/Website Requests or Password Resets, RSO Information Requests)
ASG Funding Team
- ASG Treasurer Mike Wyse, firstname.lastname@example.org
- ASG Office Manager Jody Preece, email@example.com
- ASG Advisor Rudy Trejo, firstname.lastname@example.org
- RSO Financial Affairs Advisor Rainer Gall, email@example.com
Have a question about RSO's? Contact our office at 479-575-5255 or email one of the individuals listed above!