Advisor Requirements 2016-2017
Any faculty or staff member at the University Arkansas is eligible to be an RSO advisor if:
They are a full-time appointed employee, or
They are a part-time appointed employee who is not concurrently pursuing a graduate degree, unless it is part of their position description.
Please update this information in the RSO database (http://rsodatabase.uark.edu/Manage). One of the previous officers will need to add new officers to the database using the Uark email username (“userid”) without the @uark.edu after it. If not previous officer is available to enter names, please submit this form to the office along with a note to that effect
University Advisor Expectations
Be familiar with the purpose, constitution and activities of the RSO for which you are advising.
Assist the RSO in identifying goals and help the members and officers clarify their areas of responsibility.
Participate in all major organizational planning.
Observe and evaluate student performance in regards to his or her involvement with the RSO.
Be familiar with University policies and procedures as they pertain to officer eligibility and be sensitive to the students' academic performance.
Provide information to University officials concerning the RSO when requested.
Be available as a mentor to organization members to assist them with personal and organizational problems and decisions.
Act as a source of general information regarding UA policies and procedures.
Teach basic leadership skills and provide the officers with elements of good organizational and administrative practice.
- Remember to have fun!
RSO Registration Information
Re-registration is open April 15-September 15, 2016. A brief period for spring registration will open in January 2017 for RSO's that missed the fall deadline. New RSO's can form at any time. The registration process must be completed by students and all requirements must be met.
Advisor Development Series
The Office of Student Activities offers advisor workshops aimed at increasing knowledge, support and understanding of the RSO advisor role. In addition, this program offers opportunities to network with other university professionals and advisors who have a rich knowledge base of advising experience.
The Advisor Development Series helps advisors understand their role as advisors and maximize their group’s experience. Workshops are held once a month. Each workshop covers a different topic relating to the advisors role in RSO’s.
For more information about Registered Student Organizations, contact the Office of Student Activities, 479-575-5255, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2016-2017 Advisor Development Series Schedule
Each session will begin promptly at noon and end by 1 p.m. Advisors who wish to eat lunch and interact with peer advisors can arrive starting at 11:30 a.m. Office of Student Activities staff will remain until 1:30 p.m. for dialogue with RSO advisors. Advisors can pre-register for the workshops here.
Session dates and topics include:
Wednesday, Oct. 19, 2016, 12-1 p.m., Arkansas Union 508-509: Money Matters - ASG Funding, Fundraisers, and more (meal served at 11:30 a.m.)
Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016, 12-1 p.m., J.B. Hunt 535: Successful Officer Transitions (meal served at 11:30 a.m.)
Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2017, 12-1 p.m., Arkansas Union 510-511: Training students for professionalism – Carolyn Chitwood, Career Development Center (meal served at 11:30 a.m.)
Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2017, 12-1 p.m., J.B. Hunt 535: RSO Challenges: Student Leader Burnout, Cross-Cultural Perspectives, and more (meal served at 11:30 a.m.)
Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 12-1 p.m., Arkansas Union 513-514: Event Planning and Marketing Your RSO (meal served at 11:30 a.m.)
- Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 12-1 p.m., J.B. Hunt 535: Connections: RSO Relations Across Campus (meal served at 11:30 a.m.)
- Advisor Basics
- Advisor Meet and Greet slides
- Clifton StrengthsFinder Technical Report
- Co-Sponsorship Agreement Form
- Cultural Intelligence
- Dynamics of Diversity in the RSO
- Event Planning - Slides (Spring 2016)
- Event Planning - Slides (Spring 2012)
- Event Planning Handouts
- "Facilitating Group Development" Presentation
- Finances and Fundraising
- Funding Informational Session
- "Incorporating the 'Students First' Philosophy into Your Advising Style – slides"
- Legal Cases and How they Apply to RSOs
- Money Matters 2015 - ASG Funding Video, ASG Funding Powerpoint, ASG Funding Guide, ASG OFA Standing Rules
- Motivation and Team Building
- Officer Transition Handouts
- Officer Transition Powerpoint
- RSO Advisors and Student Development Theory- Role of the Advisor, Student Employee Learning Plan, Student Employee Learning Plan Check-in, One on One Format
- StrengthsQuest for RSO Advisors
- Successful Events- Event Planning, Event Planning Handout, Event Planning Webpage