Registered Student Organizations
How to Update RSO Officers/Advisors
1) The current president of the group (or outgoing, if the president is being replaced) should make sure the new officers/advisors are listed on your organization's HogSync roster. (Visit Engage Support for instructions on how to update the positions held within the organization.) If any officers are no longer serving, you will need to update their positions to "member" or remove them from your roster.
2) The current president of the group (or outgoing, if the president is being replaced) should submit the Officer/Advisor Update form with a complete list of the officers/advisors. The individuals listed on this form must match the individuals listed on your organization site roster.
- If the RSO Advisor has changed, please have your new advisor complete the Advisor Certification Form.
Once the Office of Student Activities receives the form and the RSO roster is updated we will verify that your officers in the roster match this document, and we will update the checkwriting access in the RSO Database.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this process.
Looking for an RSO HogSync Form?
Please visit the RSO HogSync Forms Page to view important RSO forms. (Please note, with the transition to the new version of HogSync, you will first have to create a profile and then log out. This link should work after that time.)
Want to know more about the new version of HogSync?
Get Involved with an RSO
Registered student organizations (RSOs) provide students the opportunity to form and develop organizations based on a common interest. Students are able to create, govern, budget and plan their own organization and events. Through your involvement with an RSO you will meet new people, develop your interest and have fun.
Want to find a Registered Student Organization to get involved with? Check out HogSync! Through your involvement with an RSO you are able to take advantage of our RSO education classes (budgeting, event planning, etc.), RSO resources (office space, lockers, etc.) and apply for funds for your events from the Associated Student Government. If you don't see one that suits your interest, contact the Office of Student Activities to learn how to start your own RSO.
Ways to Reach RSO's
Are you a business or non-profit organization looking to connect to students on campus? Main Hill Media is a student marketing agency that will help you craft a message and reach your target audience. Are you looking for volunteers for your organization? GivePulse is the University's volunteer matching tool. Are you advertising job openings? Check out Handshake, available through the Career Development Center.
If you are a campus department or an RSO wishing to reach out to other RSO's, please email email@example.com with a brief message for our weekly RSO newsletter.
RSO Registration Information
RSO Re-registration for the 2018-2019 year is now closed. Renewing RSOs that do not meet the deadline will be required to wait until registration re-opens in March 2019. New RSO's may form at any time. Visit the Registration Page for details.
Benefits of becoming a Registered Student Organization
According to University policy, student groups must be registered in order to:
- Use University facilities or reserve meeting space on campus
- Be listed in University publications, websites and newsletters
- Use the University name in publicity and press releases (format: "RSO Name at the University of Arkansas")
- Use University spirit symbols and trademarks as permitted by Trademark Licensing (with prior approval). This does not include use of Academic logos (as the use of those are prohibited).
- Apply for and expend University funds as distributed through the Associated Student Government
- Apply for and occupy office space in a University building
- Participate in university programs as an organization (such as co-hosting an event such as Cardinal Nights, etc.)
- Participate in any information fairs
- Apply for University recognition for organizational achievement
- Conduct fundraisers (with prior approval)
- Obtain and utilize uark.edu-hosted organizational emails, websites and listservs
- Obtain locker or mailbox space through the Office of Student Activities
- Additionally, the Office of Student Activities works closely with our Registered Student Organizations, offering trainings, workshops, event consultations, a resource room, an RSO meeting space, informational listservs, and other helpful tools.
RSO or Departmental Organization?
The University’s relationship differs with RSO’s and departmental organizations. Your organization will be categorized based on the following attributes:
- Departmental organizations are considered extensions of the department and as such, are under the direction and oversight of the department. The department controls the finances and maintains ultimate responsibility for the organization’s events. Departmental organizations officially represent the University of Arkansas.
- Registered Student Organizations are not an extension of University departments (even if they are professional or field-based) and are distinct from the University of Arkansas. RSOs receive University recognition and may receive University resources, and as such are subject to University policies, but actions of the RSO are not actions of the institution. RSO’s maintain separate finances, although in accounts held by the University, and make their own decisions about events, within University policy.
Meet your RSO Support Team!
Mary Skinner, Director of Student Activities (Legal Questions Related to RSO's)
Ali Bontrager, Graduate Assistant for RSOs (New RSOs, SOOIE Advisor, RSO Pre-event consultations, Weekly RSO HOGSync Message, Student Involvement Awards)
Rosa Edwards, Administrative Support Supervisor (Fundraising, Trademark, General RSO questions, Email/Website/Listserv Requests or Email Password Resets, RSO Listservs, RSO Information Requests, Reserving RSO Meeting Space or A640 Conference Room, Advisor Development Workshops, RSO Offices and Workspace, RSO Re-registration)
Jody Preece, Fiscal Support Specialist (RSO Funding Packet Pickup, Funded RSO Financial Processing, Advisor Development Workshops)
ASG Funding Team - RSO Funding
ASG Treasurer, Kevin Smith (RSO Funding Questions)
Fiscal Support Specialist, Jody Preece