Registered Student Organizations
Get Involved with an RSO
Registered student organizations (RSOs) provide students the opportunity to form and develop organizations based on a common interest. Students are able to create, govern, budget and plan their own organization and events. Through your involvement with an RSO you will meet new people, develop your interest and have fun.
Want to find a Registered Student Organization to get involved with? Check out HogSync! Through your involvement with an RSO you are able to take advantage of our RSO education classes (budgeting, event planning, etc.), RSO resources (office space, lockers, etc.) and apply for funds for your events from the Associated Student Government. If you don't see one that suits your interest, contact the Office of Student Activities to learn how to start your own RSO.
RSO Registration Information
RSO Re-registration for the 2017-2018 year is now open. To be in Active status for the academic year, an RSO must re-register between April 15 and September 15. Renewing RSOs that do not meet the September 15 deadline will be required to wait until registration re-opens temporarily in January 2018. New RSO's may form at any time. Visit the Registration Page for details.
Benefits of becoming a Registered Student Organization
According to University policy, student groups must be registered in order to:
- Use University facilities or reserve meeting space on campus
- Be listed in University publications, websites and newsletters
- Use the University name in publicity and press releases (format: "RSO Name at the University of Arkansas")
- Use University logos and trademarks (limited, with prior approval)
- Apply for and expend University funds as distributed through the Associated Student Government
- Apply for and occupy office space in a University building
- Participate in university programs as an organization (such as co-hosting an event such as Cardinal Nights, etc.)
- Participate in any information fairs
- Apply for University recognition for organizational achievement
- Conduct fundraisers (with prior approval)
- Obtain and utilize uark.edu-hosted organizational emails, websites and listservs
- Obtain locker or mailbox space through the Office of Student Activities
- Additionally, the Office of Student Activities works closely with our Registered Student Organizations, offering trainings, workshops, event consultations, a resource room, an RSO meeting space, informational listservs, and other helpful tools.
RSO or Departmental Organization?
The University’s relationship differs with RSO’s and departmental organizations. Your organization will be categorized based on the following attributes:
- Departmental organizations are considered extensions of the department and as such, are under the direction and oversight of the department. The department controls the finances and maintains ultimate responsibility for the organization’s events. Departmental organizations officially represent the University of Arkansas.
- Registered Student Organizations are not an extension of University departments (even if they are professional or field-based) and are distinct from the University of Arkansas. RSOs receive University recognition and may receive University resources, and as such are subject to University policies, but actions of the RSO are not actions of the institution. RSO’s maintain separate finances, although in accounts held by the University, and make their own decisions about events, within University policy.
Please contact the Office of Student Activities if you have questions.
Need Funding for your RSO? Access information and required documents for ASG Funding!
Meet your RSO Support Team!
Mary Skinner, Director of Student Activities (Legal Questions Related to RSO's)
Amber Widdowson, Assistant Director (ASG Financial Affairs Advisor, SOOIE Advisor, Student Involvement Awards, RSO Offices and Workspace, Weekly EventRSO Listserv Email, RSO Funding Questions, RSO Re-registration, Advisor Development Workshops)
Rosa Edwards, Administrative Support Supervisor (Fundraising, Trademark, General RSO questions, Email/Website/Listserv Requests or Email Password Resets, RSO Listservs, RSO Information Requests, Reserving RSO Meeting Space or A640 Conference Room)
Flávia Araujo, Graduate Assistant (New RSO Registration, Pre-Event Consultations, Weekly RSO Events Listserv)
Jean Oden, Fiscal Support Specialist (Pre-Event Consultations, RSO Funding Packet Pickup)
Jody Preece, Fiscal Support Specialist (RSO Funding Packet Pickup, Funded RSO Financial Processing)
ASG Funding Team
- ASG Treasurer Macarena Arce
- ASG Office Manager Jody Preece
- ASG Office of Financial Affairs Advisor Amber Widdowson
Have a question about RSO's? Contact our office at 479-575-5255 or email one of the individuals listed above!