Registered Student Organizations
List of RSOs
Looking for an RSO to join? Check out HogSync!
Looking for an RSO HogSync Form?
Please visit the RSO HogSync Forms Page to view important RSO forms.
Get Involved with an RSO
Registered student organizations (RSOs) provide students the opportunity to form and develop organizations based on a common interest. Students are able to create, govern, budget and plan their own organization and events. Through your involvement with an RSO you will meet new people, develop your interest and have fun.
Want to find a Registered Student Organization to get involved with? Check out HogSync! Through your involvement with an RSO you are able to take advantage of our RSO education classes (budgeting, event planning, etc.), RSO resources (office space, lockers, etc.) and apply for funds for your events from the Associated Student Government. If you don't see one that suits your interest, contact the Office of Student Activities to learn how to start your own RSO.
Ways to Reach RSO's
Are you a business or non-profit organization looking to connect to students on campus? Main Hill Media is a student marketing agency that will help you craft a message and reach your target audience. Are you looking for volunteers for your organization? GivePulse is the University's volunteer matching tool. Are you advertising job openings? Check out Handshake, available through the Career Development Center.
If you are a campus department or an RSO wishing to reach out to other RSO's, please email email@example.com with a brief message for our weekly RSO newsletter.
Benefits of becoming a Registered Student Organization
According to University policy, student groups must be registered in order to:
- Use University facilities or reserve meeting space on campus
- Be listed in University publications, websites and newsletters
- Use the University name in publicity and press releases (format: "RSO Name at the University of Arkansas")
- Use University spirit symbols and trademarks as permitted by Trademark Licensing (with prior approval). This does not include use of Academic logos (as the use of those are prohibited).
- Apply for and expend University funds as distributed through the Associated Student Government
- Apply for and occupy office space in a University building
- Participate in university programs as an organization (such as co-hosting an event such as Cardinal Nights, etc.)
- Participate in any information fairs
- Apply for University recognition for organizational achievement
- Conduct fundraisers (with prior approval)
- Obtain and utilize uark.edu-hosted organizational emails, websites and listservs
- Obtain locker or mailbox space through the Office of Student Activities
- Additionally, the Office of Student Activities works closely with our Registered Student Organizations, offering trainings, workshops, event consultations, a resource room, an RSO meeting space, informational listservs, and other helpful tools.
Categories of Student Organizations
The University’s relationship differs with Registered Student Organizations (RSOs), departmental organizations, Greek-affiliated organizations, and Student Activities fee-funded organizations. Each organization will be categorized based on the following attributes. (Please see this chart for more details on the benefits and administration of each category.)
- Departmental organizations are considered extensions of the department and as such, are under the direction and oversight of the department. The department controls the finances and maintains ultimate responsibility for the organization’s events. Departmental organizations officially represent the University of Arkansas. (Example: UREC’s Sports Clubs, Pat Walker Health Center’s RESPECT group, Walton College of Business SAKE group)
- Registered Student Organizations are not an extension of University departments (even if they are professional or field-based) and are distinct from the University of Arkansas. RSOs receive University recognition and may receive University resources, and as such are subject to University policies, but actions of the RSO are not actions of the institution. RSO’s maintain separate finances, although in accounts held by the University, and make their own decisions about events, within University policy.
- Fee-Funded Student Organizations are groups that are primarily funded by the student activities fee including Associated Student Government (ASG), Distinguished Lectures Committee (DLC), Graduate Professional Student Congress (GPSC), Headliners Concert Committee, Student Organization Outreach and Involvement Experience (SOOIE), University Programs (UP), and Volunteer Action Center (VAC). These groups primarily exist to represent student interests in the spending of student fees and are advised by University staff members whose primary position is the administration and oversight of student fees. Fee-funded student organizations officially represent the University of Arkansas. This does not apply to RSOs that receive student fee funding for specific events or conferences through Office of Financial Affairs (OFA) through ASG.
- Greek Organizations are organizations that are officially recognized by the Charles & Cappy Whiteside Greek Life Leadership Center at the University of Arkansas.
Meet your RSO Support Team!
Assistant Director for Registered Student Organizations (ASG Office of Financial Affairs, SOOIE, Legal Questions Related to RSO's, Advisor Development Workshops, RSO Offices and Workspace, RSO Re-registration, Officer Updates, General RSO questions) (Position currently vacant; email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions)
Smruthi Chintakuna, Graduate Assistant for RSOs (New RSOs, SOOIE, OFA, RSO Pre-event consultations, Weekly RSO HOGSync Message, Student Involvement Awards)
Jody Preece, Fiscal Support Specialist (RSO Funding Packet Pickup, Funded RSO Financial Processing, Advisor Development Workshops)
Rosa Floyd, OSA Office Manager (Fundraising Forms, Trademark Forms, General RSO questions, RSO Email/Website Requests or Email Password Resets, RSO Information Requests, Reserving RSO Meeting Spaces on A6 floor or A640 Conference Room)
ASG Funding Team - RSO Funding
ASG Treasurer, Grady Schmidt(RSO Funding Questions)
Fiscal Support Specialist, Jody Preece