COVID Event Handbook
The Office of Student Activities will update this page regularly with updated information and resources, so please check back frequently.
Event Approval Process
Campus Community Events without Members of the Public
- 100 or fewer attendees shall require social distancing and face coverings. Requires approval of unit director or department head/chair.
- More than 100 attendees shall require social distancing and face coverings. Requires approval of unit director/department head/chair, dean (or designee), and vice chancellor.
- Event policy: https://health.uark.edu/coronavirus/returning-to-campus/section-7-events-and-gatherings.php
- Event Form: https://hogsync.uark.edu/submitter/form/start/422806 (this form is completed for on-campus meetings or events, as well as off-campus activities that your RSO plans to advertise on HogSync.) - Must be submitted three business days prior to your event.
Campus Community Events with Members of the Public
- 100 or fewer attendees shall require social distancing and face covering. Requires approval of unit director/department head/chair, dean (or designee), and vice chancellor.
- More than 100 attendees shall require social distancing and face covering. Requires approval of unit director/ department chair, dean (or designee), and vice chancellor as well as submission to and approval by the Arkansas Department of Health at least 24 hours prior to the start of the event.
HogSync COVID-19 posting policy
For the duration of the COVID-19 emergency, if a RSO would like to post any off-campus event or activity within the student engagement platform, HogSync, the RSO must certify that it agrees to abide by all applicable COVID-19 directives of the Arkansas Department of Health/State of Arkansas and the University of Arkansas. Event sponsors are required to submit the Campus Events and COVID-19 Authorization and Approval Form to the designated University officials for review and approval. See Returning to Campus Events and Gathering policy - https://health.uark.edu/coronavirus/returning-to-campus/section-6-events-and-gatherings.php and Campus Events and COVID19 at https://vcfa.uark.edu/fayetteville-policies-procedures/fama/7080.php
Online Meeting Resources
- Because of the need to social distance and increased use of space for academics, space is harder to obtain on campus this year. We encourage you to have a virtual component to each of your meetings or events (or even consider if the entire meeting/event can be conducted virtually). This will reduce the number of people you need to have in a physical meeting space.
- Free to members of campus: Cisco WebEx, Microsoft Teams
Finances and Fundraising
- OFA Funding: Yes, you can still apply for ASG funding for your RSO through the Office of Financial Affairs! Our website provides information on the standing rules and you can apply for virtual conferences and events! When you apply for funding, we will walk you through all of the safety guidelines and policies.
- Fundraising: Yes, you can still do fundraising – but you will have to follow all COVID-19 guidelines. Based on CDC guidelines, the University of Arkansas is not allowing items to be handed out at tabling events on campus. So fundraisers such as food sales will not be approved. However, you can still participate in other fundraising options. Percentage nights, items sales that are not handed out at tabling events, donations, and other fundraising options can still be submitted. As always complete the Fundraiser Notification Form and we will move forward from there.
- Check Writing: We are transitioning to a new check writing system that will be housed in HogSync.
In the meantime, you can request a check by emailing the information below to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware the Treasurer’s Office only prints checks on Tuesdays & Fridays
so please allow time for us to submit your request. You will have the option of having
your check mailed or picking it up.
- Pay to: Vendor Name
- Address: Address Line, City, State, Zip
- Amount: $x.xx
- Memo: Reason for the check
- Account Number: AGxxxxx
- Requested by: Student Name
- Delivery Method: Mail (preferred) or Pick Up
- Attach receipts if over $300 (or any amount, if check is written to a faculty/staff member)
- Deposits: You can make deposits at Arkansas Union 214 using the Deposit Form. If you do not have anyone in a physical presence on campus, the deposit can be mailed to:
Attn: Jason Rankin
Arkansas Union 214,
Fayetteville, AR 72701
You will not be able to publicize your event with posters this year. Many buildings are not allowing posters and some are even closed to foot traffic other than classes.
- There are digital boards and other promotional tools available to you. Please use the RSO Publicity Guide for ideas on how to get the word out about your event.
Need Help? SOOIE can assist!
Social distancing & masks
Appropriate means of mitigating the risk of COVID-19 transmission for the university community requires all employees, students and visitors to:
- Respect social distancing measures of keeping at least 6 feet of distance from others.
- Wear face coverings or masks while on campus in public environments where social-distancing measures are difficult to maintain and at all times indoors with limited exceptions. Check here for the latest face covering requirements.
- Practice frequent hand-washing hygiene and respiratory etiquette.
Virtual Event Ideas
Hold virtual events for your organization! Be creative and play into your organization’s interests. Here are some ideas to get you started (source: University of Kentucky Virtual Event Guide):
- Zoom Study Session
- Virtual Trivia (with Kahoot) - https://kahoot.com/
- Netflix Watch Party - https://www.netflixparty.com/
- Two Seven (Chrome Extension similar to Netflix Party) - https://twoseven.xyz/
- Remote Board Games - https://en.boardgamearena.com/
- Zoom Meet the Pets
- Online Bingo
- Presentation Party
- 53 Ideas to Stay Engaged
Event Planning Portal
**Note: The Office of Student Activities advises RSO's not to advertise or promote your events until you have a confirmed reservation.**
- The Union uses an online reservation system http://unionevents.uark.edu/
- If you need to cancel a reservation, email email@example.com at least 24 hours in advance
- If you do not show up, the Union will charge you $10 .
- If you have 3 no-shows, the Union will not allow you to book space anymore.
- In set-up notes on the online reservation, designate one or two members to serve as contacts all year – only these members will be able to log in to make reservations that year.
- Room reservations are free for RSOs, but there is a charge for equipment.
For all other buildings on campus consult the Building Reservation Guide (**Please note that your RSO will abide by all COVID-19 guidelines set by the building)
The Union is the only building on campus which requires all food to be catered by Ozark Catering Company, due to a contract with them.
- Exception: If your RSO wishes to bring in less than $100 worth of food (total) for consumption by that RSO at a meeting or other function, you may bring in a limited selection of packaged foods only. Details are located in the Union Outside Food Policy.
- To avoid late fees, you should place food orders at least 5 days in advance. More time is recommended if you have a very large order or a specialty order.
- Ozark Catering Company orders may be placed online
- Ozark Catering Company offers a special menu for RSOs (includes discounts)
- Ozark Catering Company contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For other buildings on campus, you may use a caterer of your choice. Check with the specific building reservationist to make sure that food is allowed in the building or room you are reserving.
Publicity – both the method in which you advertise and the time frame in which you do so – will have a large impact on your event’s success.
Start with the Publicity Checklist to make sure you are taking advantage of publicity opportunities. Most of these methods are free!
Be sure that any images you use are allowed by copyright!
More Publicity Resources:
- If you are posting flyers, consult the Campus Bulletin Board Posting Guide to see what is allowed in certain buildings. (**Note: Bulletin Board Posting is temporarily suspended due to COVID-19 Restrictions.)
- Table Tent reservations (table-top advertisements)
- Ads in The Traveler
- RSO Email and/or Website request – Your RSO can have its own email address (@uark.edu) and/or website.
- RSO Email Professionalism Tips
RSO Weekly Email
All official communication from the Office of Student Activities will be sent out in the official RSO weekly email. If you have an event that you would like to be submitted to the RSO Event listserv that goes out to all RSO officers each week, please send a description of your event to email@example.com by noon on Friday of the week prior to the event.
- E-mail Request Form
- Listserv Request Form
- Website Request Form
Trademark/Licensing for Printed Items with Logos/Phrases
RSO's are not allowed to use academic logos - including, but not limited to all trademarked phrases, graphics and symbols of the University of Arkansas, except when identifying the RSO in this manner: RSO group name at the University of Arkansas.
If your event includes printed items (such as t-shirts) with trademarked University of Arkansas spirit symbols, logos, images, or phrases, including the word “Arkansas”, the Hog logo, “Razorbacks,” or “Wooo Pig Sooie,” you must fill out a Trademark and Licensing form and go through a University-licensed vendor to print your items. Before you start to work with a vendor, consult the Licensed Vendor List below to find one that is approved. After coming up with a design (but before the items are printed), turn in a Trademark and Licensing Form to the Office of Student Activities. Your request will go through the University Trademark Office, so allow up to 2 weeks for the entire process (before beginning printing).
Registered trademarks of the University of Arkansas include:
- All academic logos and their variants
- “UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS®”
- “ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS®”
- “WOOO PIG SOOIE ®”
- The image of Old Main®
- any Razorback marks or images
- the University of Arkansas school Seal.
If your RSO is traveling outside of Benton or Washington counties, please review the Student Travel Policies and fill out any necessary forms.
When planning any event, always consider the risks! Physical, reputational, emotional, financial, and property risks should all be considered when planning any RSO event, and steps should be taken to identify and minimize risks, and to plan for emergencies. Certain activities carry inherent risks, and participant waivers may be necessary for some events.
The Risk Matrix is a very helpful tool that you can use to determine how risky your activities are. Download this tool to properly prepare for your event!
If you have any questions about how you can minimize risks, contact the Assistant Director for Registered Student Organizations at firstname.lastname@example.org
More Event Resources
Movie Copyright Information (If you are showing a movie on campus)
If you are planning a large event and don’t know where to begin, check out the Event Planning Workbook for some helpful tips. Also, feel free to schedule an individual event planning appointment by emailing email@example.com.
The Campus Resource Guide is a valuable source of contact information for a wide variety of resources and departments on campus.
All Links/Documents in Event Planning Portal:
- Event Planning Workbook
- Campus Resource Guide
- Arkansas Union Reservations and Policies
- Outdoor Facility Reservations
- HPER Reservations
- City of Fayetteville resources
- Ozark Catering Company Catering
- RSO Publicity Checklist
- Table Tent Reservation (Ozark Catering Company)
- Table Tent Reservations (Union)
- Advertising with The Traveler
- Approved Vendor List
- Trademark/Licensing Form
- Movie Copyright Policy
- Student Travel Policy / Forms