Want to become an advisor?
Join the Potential Advisor Roster today!
Any faculty or staff member at the University Arkansas is eligible to be an RSO advisor if:
They are a full-time appointed employee, or
They are a part-time appointed employee who is not concurrently pursuing a graduate degree, unless it is part of their position description.
Advisors should be updated in HogSync. If an advisor does not have a HogSync profile the advisor will need to create one before the being added as advisor. To update an advisor, the RSO president should start with the President Certification of RSO Officers form on HogSync.
University Advisor Expectations
Be familiar with the purpose, constitution and activities of the RSO for which you are advising.
Assist the RSO in identifying goals and help the members and officers clarify their areas of responsibility.
Participate in all major organizational planning.
Observe and evaluate student performance in regards to his or her involvement with the RSO.
Be familiar with University policies and procedures as they pertain to officer eligibility and be sensitive to the students' academic performance.
Provide information to University officials concerning the RSO when requested.
Be available as a mentor to organization members to assist them with personal and organizational problems and decisions.
Act as a source of general information regarding UA policies and procedures.
Teach basic leadership skills and provide the officers with elements of good organizational and administrative practice.
- Serve as a Campus Security Authority to report crimes that you become aware of in the course of your advisor role.
- Remember to have fun!
Advisor Development Series Spring 2020
All Registered Student Organization advisors are invited to take part in the Advisor Development Series for Spring 2020. Each session will begin at 11:30 a.m. with thirty minutes for lunch and interaction with peer advisors. Content will be presented from 12:00-1:00 p.m. Office of Student Activities staff will be available for thirty minutes following each session for dialogue with RSO advisors. Advisors can pre-register for the workshops on HogSync. Pre-registration is required for those planning to eat lunch.
The Office of Student Activities offers advisor workshops aimed at increasing knowledge, support, and understanding of the RSO advisor role. In addition, this program offers opportunities to network with other university professionals and advisors who have a rich knowledge base of advising experience. Each workshop covers a different topic relating to the advisor’s role in RSO’s. Spring sessions with registration links are listed below:
- Tuesday, January 28: How to apply for funding: Presentation PDF
- Wednesday, February 19: RSO Re-registration and Officer Transitions: Presentation PDF.
- Monday, March 16: RSO Benefits – Rosa Edwards, OSA Office Manager, will cover the list of benefits of RSOs. If you’ve ever wondered whether your RSO officers were taking full advantage of the opportunities afforded to RSOs, this is a session you’ll want to attend!
- Monday, April 20: RSO Advisor Appreciation – It’s been a busy year and this is your session to celebrate your RSO’s successes! You’ll hear about any upcoming changes and be given a chance to share your group’s top achievements, all while enjoying a special luncheon prepared with you in mind!
For more information about Registered Student Organizations, contact the Office of Student Activities, 479-575-5255, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Advisor Basics
- Advisor Meet and Greet slides
- Clifton StrengthsFinder Technical Report
- Co-Sponsorship Agreement Form
- Cultural Intelligence
- Dynamics of Diversity in the RSO
- Event Planning - Slides (Spring 2018)
- Event Planning - Slides (Spring 2012)
- Event Planning Handouts
- "Facilitating Group Development" Presentation
- Finances and Fundraising
- Funding Informational Session
- "Incorporating the 'Students First' Philosophy into Your Advising Style – slides"
- Legal Cases and How they Apply to RSOs
- Money Matters 2015
- Motivation and Team Building
- Officer Transition Checklist
- Officer Transition Powerpoint
- RSO Advisors and Student Development Theory
- StrengthsQuest for RSO Advisors
- Successful Events