Want to become an advisor?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to be on a list of potential advisors for new groups that need to be matched with an advisor.
Any faculty or staff member at the University Arkansas is eligible to be an RSO advisor if:
They are a full-time appointed employee, or
They are a part-time appointed employee who is not concurrently pursuing a graduate degree, unless it is part of their position description.
Advisors should be updated in HogSync. If an advisor does not have a HogSync profile the advisor will need to create one before the being added as advisor. To update an advisor, the RSO president should start with the RSO Officer/Advisor Update form on HogSync. The Advisor should also complete the Advisor Certification Form.
University Advisor Expectations
Be familiar with the purpose, constitution and activities of the RSO for which you are advising.
Assist the RSO in identifying goals and help the members and officers clarify their areas of responsibility.
Participate in all major organizational planning.
Observe and evaluate student performance in regards to his or her involvement with the RSO.
Be familiar with University policies and procedures as they pertain to officer eligibility and be sensitive to the students' academic performance.
Provide information to University officials concerning the RSO when requested.
Be available as a mentor to organization members to assist them with personal and organizational problems and decisions.
Act as a source of general information regarding UA policies and procedures.
Teach basic leadership skills and provide the officers with elements of good organizational and administrative practice.
- Serve as a Campus Security Authority to report crimes that you become aware of in the course of your advisor role.
Sign off as a reviewer on the following forms in HogSync when your officers submit them and add you as a reviewer:
- Fundraiser Notification Form
- Trademark Request Form
- RSO Officer/Advisor Update Form
- Email & Website Request Forms
- Check Request Form
- Annual Re-registration Form
- Event Submission Form
- Remember to have fun!
Advisor Development Series
The Office of Student Activities offers advisor workshops aimed at increasing knowledge, support, and understanding of the RSO advisor role. In addition, this program offers opportunities to network with other university professionals and advisors who have a rich knowledge base of advising experience. Each workshop covers a different topic relating to the advisor’s role in RSO’s. Past sessions are below. Watch this space for upcoming events.
- Advisor Basics
- Advisor Meet and Greet slides
- Clifton StrengthsFinder Technical Report
- Co-Sponsorship Agreement Form
- Cultural Intelligence
- Dynamics of Diversity in the RSO
- Event Planning - Slides (Spring 2018)
- Event Planning - Slides (Spring 2012)
- Event Planning Handouts
- "Facilitating Group Development" Presentation
- Finances and Fundraising
- Funding Informational Session
- How to apply for funding: Presentation PDF
- "Incorporating the 'Students First' Philosophy into Your Advising Style – slides"
- Legal Cases and How they Apply to RSOs
- Money Matters 2015
- Motivation and Team Building
- Officer Transition Checklist
- Officer Transition Powerpoint
- RSO Advisors and Student Development Theory
- RSO Re-registration and Officer Transitions: Presentation PDF.
- StrengthsQuest for RSO Advisors
- Successful Events